Senior Data Warehouse Specialist/ETL Developer
Reference Number: VB-372
Location: Madison, WI
Our client needs a Senior Date Warehouse Specialist to lead a team of data warehouse specialists, consisting of both FTE and external contracted resources. In addition to having excellent technical skills in data warehousing, this will require leadership, coaching, mentoring and training skills. The Senior Data Warehouse Specialist will lead the overall architecture of each iteration and lead the activities to analyze requirements, design, develop and deploy all the deliverables associated with each phase of the data warehouse projects.
You will work on any or all iterations for one or more subject areas within the data warehouse as determined by the priorities of the department’s workload.
You will serve the needs of all entities under the client's service umbrella, exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality in all phases of the project. You are expected to apply independent judgment and initiative in carrying out assigned tasks.
The position requires knowledge of the health care business processes and terminology. The position also requires extensive knowledge of the Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) activities specific to data warehousing, methodologies and software tools, including Informatica.
The duties of the position require the selected candidate to work in a complex environment while performing multiple activities on concurrent development projects and maintaining the existing production environment.
- Lead team of data warehouse specialists in all phases of the Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC), which includes requirements, analysis, design, development, and deployment of automated workflows and mappings to extract, transform, cleanse and a load data into staging areas and dimensional target tables of the data warehouse
- Define the architectural strategies for data warehouse solutions including: data flow, data models, the historical loading, incremental update strategy, staging, error handling, update strategy, aggregations, workflow control, unit testing, regression testing, and restartability
- Mentor less senior staff on Informatica usage, tips, techniques, and best-practice methodologies, e.g. Velocity
- Ensure the design of data warehouse related processes adheres to requirements for audit, compliance, security and HIPAA
- Lead peer review sessions of design documents and Informatica maps, maplets and workflows during the development cycle in advance of work being promoted to the Quality Assurance environment
- Lead team on the creation of documentation related to Informatica work products for each phase of the SDLC including technical specifications, source to target mappings, workflow overview, data flow, functionality for each mapping, test data, and test plans
- Lead systems integration testing and quality assurance to ensure team work products perform as designed to meet client requirements
- Lead the design, development, and collaboration with various departments for both the inbound data from external organizations and the submissions of data to external organizations to ensure accuracy and scheduled processes execute as expected. These processes should use Informatica and existing processes should be converted to Informatica
- Design and develop the more complex Informatica workflows and mappings (programs) and also the shareable maplets the team will use
- Work closely with Project Manager(s) on risk identification, mitigation strategies, and resource allocation of team members across multiple projects
- For each project, estimate effort of the DW Specialist’s tasks and provide input to the project plan work breakdown structure (WBS) in collaboration with assigned Project Lead or Manager
- Lead the development and on-going maintenance of standards, templates, shared code and procedures for the department
- Work closely with Data Warehouse Administrator to understand DW performance, and collaboratively create plans to improve performance through database changes or Informatica process redesign
- Document business metadata and business rules
- Perform data quality assessments of both source data and data stores in the data warehouse
- Translate functional requirements into technical requirements
- Provide production support for data warehousing processes and triage on problems which may occur
- Resolve problems in a timely fashion
- Collaborate with departments to ensure reliable and accurate receipt of data from external partners and transmission of data to external partners
- Further develop technical, professional and health care industry skills capability to more efficiently and effectively deliver solutions to internal and external organizations that we serve
- Prioritizes tasks and completes assigned work within assigned time schedules
- All duties and requirements must be performed consistent with the UWHC Organizational Performance Standards.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or University in Information Systems, Business Administration, Health Care Informatics or closely related field
- Seven to ten years of Information Technology experience
- Five to seven years leading data warehousing design and development as an ETL Lead, ETL Architect, Senior DW developer, DW consultant, or similar role
- Three years working on data warehouse projects with dimensional models
- Five years’ experience with Informatica
- Several years leading teams on the technical aspects of data warehousing projects within the health care industry is preferred
- One to two years’ experience with Netezza data warehouse appliance
- Experience with CA ERwin or other data modeling tools
- Epic Electronic Medical Record software and Clarity data warehouse environment experience.
Licenses & Certifications
- Certified Data Management Professional (CDMP) - Mastery level
- Data Warehouse Institute (TDWI) CBIP certification – Data Integration specialty
- Certified Informatica Professional
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities.
- Strong skills in data warehousing process design and development using the Informatica data warehousing tool suite
- Excellent skills in the architecture of data warehouse solutions
- Proficient at leading a team of technical professionals on concurrent projects
- Demonstrated experience taking Velocity or other methodologies and integrating them into a team’s way of thinking and operating
- Excellent knowledge of and programming in relational data base technologies; e.g. Oracle, DB2, SQL Server
- Expert in data warehousing methodologies
- Strong relational and dimensional data modeling skills
- Strong data management and data analysis using SQL
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Effective interpersonal relations skills, ability to effectively collaborate with others and work as part of a team
- Skills in navigating a large organization in order to accomplish results
- Ability to initiate and follow through on complex projects of both short and long term duration
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Works independently, assumes responsibility for job development and training, researches and resolves questions and problems, requests supervisor input and keeps supervisor informed
- Proficiency with MS Office suite, MS Visio, MS Project, and MS Outlook
- Completes projects of substantial depth and complexity, works with customers at many levels in the organization